Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Adventures in Potty Training: Part 2

I loathe potty training!  I know, I know, they are just learning and you shouldn't get upset.  Well, I'm upset.  Things had been going pretty well with Ethan's potty training, except for the fact that he won't poop in the toilet, which for the most part I can overlook that because he generally waits to go in a diaper.  But for some reason he has had about 5 accidents in the last week.  Ok, I get that there can be mistakes here and there, but can we at least keep them at home?

The last couple days have been cold and rainy so we haven't been outside.  As a result, Ethan has been ornery and whiny and driving me crazy.  So, tonight after dinner I took Ethan and Elizabeth to McDonald's so Ethan could play and, hopefully, get out some energy.  I didn't want to have to take Ethan to the bathroom while we were at McDonald's because it is really awkward holding Elizabeth (who is too active any more to sit in a car seat) while helping Ethan go and not freak out at the hand dryers, so I had him go to the bathroom before we left the house.  We get to McDonald's, I get me a drink and Ethan some fries, and we head into the play area.  Not five minutes later I hear Ethan from up on the toys say "I peed."  Sure enough, he peed.  His pants were soaked, his shirt was wet, his socks were wet, his shoes were wet.  I hurry and grab him and tell an employee.  I rush him to the bathroom to change him into some spare clothes but all I have are shorts and underwear.  I make him take off his shirt and put his jacket on and change into the dry shorts and underwear.  Meanwhile I also have to deal with Elizabeth.  There is no way I was about to put her on a McDonald's bathroom floor, so I try and strap her in on the baby changing table.  She wiggles her way out of the strap in about 2 seconds so I'm trying to keep her from falling while helping Ethan with his clothes.  Elizabeth takes advantage of my divided attention by eating one of the paper changing table covers.  Great.  After Ethan is changed I grab Elizabeth in one arm, the wet clothes in the other, and steer Ethan out of the bathroom and out of McDonald's.

The worst part of the whole thing, I had to leave my Diet Coke there on the table with only one sip gone because I couldn't carry everything.  And oh yes, the two men laughing.

2 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Oh I am so sorry Sarah. You just brought back memories of Chick-fil-a. I hope it all improves so you can Ethan outside.

Tara said...

I'm sorry I'm laughing!! It's only funny cause it's not me right now -- I have classic horror stories that are even worse than that!! Just remind yourself that it will get better -- and keep being brave enough to leave the house! Next time just strap the soaking wet kid in the car seat and go through the drive up window for an extra diet coke (and a shake) cause it will make things better later!