Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Help!

We have been having the hardest time trying to transition Ethan to table food. We have been trying for the past 4 months but feel like we have had very little success. We have tried letting Ethan feed himself with his fingers and/or a spoon or fork but he just plays. I understand that is part of the learning process but he just plays and doesn't eat and is still hungry. Sometimes we can get him to eat what we are eating, but not very often. He loves fresh fruit, but hates meat and vegetables. He used to love homemade pizza, but now he won't eat it. Right now he loves black beans, but I'm afraid that he will just stop eating them one day, just like everything else. I have even tried mashing food to see if he just likes the mushy texture, but he won't take it. He has 12 teeth, 4 of which are molars, so it's not like he doesn't have the teeth to chew. And I don't have the heart to just let him go hungry.

I talked to our pediatrition at Ethan's 15 month check-up, and he said to just keep trying. That was a month ago. I'm getting so frustrated and I'm so tired of getting stressed out at meal times. If you have any suggestions please help me!

2 comments:

Southern Belle said...

AH! That is just crazy. I've heard of kids doing that when they're older, but this young. Wow! Hm...he likes fresh fruit. I know this sounds disgusting, but have you tried taking some chopped up fruit and stirring in peas? Jocelyn would only eat peas that were from the freezer section, so you could let them thaw and then put them with fruit.

My neighbors little boy wouldn't eat anything when he turned two. She found some "baby food" hotdogs and he ate those. They look like little hot dogs and are in jars. I tasted one and they had a tiny flavor of hot dog, but had the nutrients.

Oh my goodness. I don't know if that helps at all. If I think if anything, I'll let you know.

Kale and Rowdy said...

Hi! I lurk sometimes, since we never see you in person. But, my youngest was totally this way and was even classified failure to thrive. Try macaroni and cheese with tiny hot dog bits and peas. Also, try vanilla whole fat organic yogurt, or even the go-gurt yogurts. They are better than nothing. And the gerber toddler snacks (like the tiny fruit and grain bars, the tiny cheeto like treats, the fruit snacks--that kind of stuff) always seemed to go over okay, not great, but okay. He'll eat one day, I promise. It took mine quite awhile, but it did happen. I think sometimes their little tummies are just not ready yet.